Saturday, August 22, 2026

The Republic Standard

Founded on First Principles
Republic

Trump Declares Strait of Hormuz ‘American Territory’ as U.S. Forces Redirect Dozens of Vessels

President Donald Trump escalated his rhetoric over the ongoing standoff with Iran on Friday, telling a rally crowd in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, that he considers the Strait of Hormuz to be American territory โ€” a claim with sweeping consequences for global energy markets and U.S. foreign policy.

“We don’t even know if we won, because I view the strait of Hormuz as an American territory right now,” Trump told the crowd, as first reported by The Guardian. The rally was held in support of Darline Graham, who is seeking the Senate seat previously held by her late brother, Lindsey Graham.

The remarks were not an off-the-cuff departure. Trump first floated the territorial assertion the week before during a speech at a New York police academy, then told reporters Monday he was fond of the idea. He also posted a map to social media labeling the waterway as “new U.S. territory.” The Myrtle Beach rally marked at least the third separate occasion he had advanced the claim publicly. He also joked about bombing Iran during his remarks Friday.

A Chokepoint That Moves the World’s Oil

The stakes are not abstract. The Strait of Hormuz, a narrow waterway bordered by Iran and Oman, serves as the passage for roughly one-fifth of all seaborne oil shipped globally. Any prolonged disruption to navigation there reverberates immediately through energy prices, supply chains, and the economies of American households and businesses. America’s economic vulnerabilities become acute precisely when chokepoints like Hormuz fall outside stable, predictable control.

As of Friday, U.S. Central Command reported that American forces had redirected 68 commercial vessels in compliance with a blockade. The announcement came through official military social media channels and underscores that U.S. engagement in the strait has moved well beyond diplomatic posturing.

Six Months In, No Deal

The conflict between the United States and Iran is approaching the six-month mark with no negotiated resolution in sight. Multiple rounds of talks have failed to produce an agreement, and Trump’s territorial language signals he is not inclined toward a conciliatory posture. Iran’s deputy foreign minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, dismissed Trump’s statements as “delusions.”

Whether the administration intends the territorial claim as a serious legal or strategic framework, or as leverage to force Iran toward the negotiating table, remains unclear. What is clear is that U.S. military assets are already exercising authority over commercial traffic through one of the most economically sensitive waterways on earth.

The implications for global energy markets, American commitments under international maritime law, and the broader regional order are significant. Securing energy flows is a core element of American economic strength, but control of a foreign strait raises questions that tariffs and military posture alone cannot resolve.

With nearly 70 commercial vessels already redirected and the conflict showing no signs of resolution, the administration’s next moves in the strait will carry consequences far beyond the Persian Gulf.

Category: Economy | Tags: Energy, National Security, Donald Trump, Iran